Matteo Berrettini ITA, 04.12.1996
A week after the Davis Cup, the ATP circuit resumes. The Moselle Open will take place in the Metz and the new San Diego Open, as well as the Laver Cup where Roger Federer will appear for the last time, which does not award valid ATP ranking points.
For the eight-seat race of the Nitto ATP Finals in Turin (November 13-20 at the Pala Alpitour), the focus is on Metz. The French top-seeded are 5th seed Daniil Medvedev in the Pepperstone ATP to Turin, and Hubert Hurkacz, who with his title win, would overtake Alexander Zverev who climbed to eighth in the standings based on seasonal results only, if only. The German’s presence in Turin is in great doubt due to bone edema slowing his recovery after the serious injury at Roland Garros.
The two Italians vying for Torino aren’t playing this week’s championships: Jannick Sener and Matteo Berrettini, respectively No. 13 and 14 of the race (a ranking that takes into account the 2022 results) are veterans of the victory week at Davis in Bologna. He made it to Italy in the quarter-finals in Malaga (22-27 November).
PEPPERSTONE ATP RACE TO TURIN, 15th place (19-09-2022)
1. Carlos Alcaraz (Spain) – 6460 points
2- Rafael Nadal (Spain) – 5810
3. Casper Rod (NOR) – 4.885
4. Stefanos Tsitsipas (Germany) – 4630
5. Daniil Medvedev (Russia) – 3.375
6. Andrey Rublev (Russia) – 3.055
7. Felix Auger-Aliassime (Canada) – 2.860
8. Alexander Zverev (Germany) – 2.700
9- Hubert Hurkacz (Poland) – 2545
10. Taylor Fritz (USA) – 2.385
11. Cameron Norrie (Britain) – 2,320
12- Pablo Carreno Busta (Spain) – 2,270
13. Matteo Berrettini (ITA) – 2.225
14. Jannik Sinner (ITA) – 2.220
15- Novak Djokovic (SRB) – 1970
At Metz, two of the doubles ahead of Azzurri Simone Bolelli and Fabio Fognini will be on the field in the Pepperstone ATP Doubles Team Rankings, ranking based on the pairs’ seasonal results. In fact, there will be Germany’s Tim Potts and New Zealand’s Michael Venus, eighth in the race, and Britain’s Lloyd Glasspool with Finland’s Harry Heliovara, seventh in that order.
Bolelli and Fognini, 10, are still in the race to play the Nitto ATP Finals for the second time in their careers and have an intense program to try to win a place in Turin: between now and the end of the year they will play tournaments in Sofia, Astana, Gijon, Naples, Basel or Vienna and Paris-Bercy.
PEPPERSTONE ATP DOUBLES TEAM RANKINGS, TOP 10(19-09-2022)
1. Wesley Kolhoff (Netherlands) / Neil Skopsky (Britain) – 6450
2. Rajiv Ram (US) / Joe Salisbury (UK) – 5,710
3- Marcelo Arevalo (ESA) / Jan Julien Roger (Netherlands) – 4915
4. Nikola Mektic (CRO) / Mate Pavic (CRO) – 3,620
5- Marcel Granollers (Spain) / Horacio Zeballos (Argentina) – 3380
6- Thansi Kokinakis (Australia) / Nick Kyrgios (Australia) – 2970
7. Lloyd Glasspool (GBR) / Harri Heliovaara (FIN) – 2.940
8- Tim Potts (Germany) / Michael Venus (New Zealand) – 2870
9. Juan Sebastian Cabal (COL) / Robert Farah (COL) – 2595
10- Simon Bolelli (ITA) / Fabio Fognini (ITA) – 2445